Sunday, September 30, 2012

Weekend Hikes Complete


I walked 12 miles yesterday. It was nice and foggy in the beginning and 64 degrees- perfect! I was the only one out there that early too so it was nice and a little eery at the same time. The fog soon burned off though and it got pretty warm- 80 degrees by the time I was done. Not too bad and nice little breeze. It's funny the things that go through your mind when you're out there for hours on end. I went from analyzing all my past mistakes to counting spider webs to talking out loud to myself working out problems and saying little prayers. Then after awhile I realized I wasn't thinking anything except for how calm and peaceful I felt looking at the blue sky and lacy clouds.

Today I walked 10 miles. It seemed much hotter but I believe it was the humidity because it was only 2 degrees warmer than yesterday. I also got an hour later start and the trail head parking was totally full. There was some kind of race going on and they had an aid station set up. The runners were fast and they made me smile with their efforts! There was a lady in a bikini and a cowboy hat about 3 miles in. She was just standing on the side of the trail with mud smeared all over her body like she had just gotten done mud wrestling. LOL. She asked me when are the runners gonna come through? I replied that they already did and she disagreed with me so I just said Okay and continued on. She probably missed the runners while she was down at the water hole getting muddied up. Hahaha! I started analyzing the footprints in the dust soon after that to see if there were any interesting ones. I saw what looked like a child's fooprint and the tread had a little heart in it. I took a picture I thought it was so interesting. I was probably addled by heatstroke by that point. I decided to turn around a little early since it was getting so hot. The final climb out was pure drudgery. All I could think about was the ice cold Dr. Pepper waiting for me in the fridge. By the time I was done I was streaming sweat. I sat at the picnic table and ate my banana and PB&J. I noticed when I got home both yesterday and today that I had a major rash around my ankles and the only thing I can think of is that maybe I'm allergic to the wool socks that I've been wearing. Seems like I get a rash everytime I wear them in the ankle region but today was particularly bad. I took a picture of it for your viewing pleasure. LOL

It was a pretty sweet weekend.











No comments: