Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Penasquitos......AGAIN

I'm getting kind of tired of Penasquitos.  We had planned to hike Mt. Woodson from the Lake Poway side, walk to the top, then down the other side to HWY 67, then turn around and go back up and over (10 miles).  We got to Lake Poway about 6:15am because it was gonna be a scorcher day.  The parking was closed!  They don't open until 7am!  UGH.  I was antsy and ready to move and didn't want to sit and wait for 45 minutes so we headed back on over to Penasquitos and did that instead.  It was 50 degrees at the trail head and it took me about 3 miles to warm up.  My fingers were blue!  If I am that cold at 50 degrees, I can't imagine what it's going to be like in April in the mountains with possible snow!  I am such a cold weather wuss.  12 miles took 4.5 hours and it was 80 degrees by the time we were done.  Pretty large temperature swing.  Dennis wore his new Oboz boots and they SUCKED.  We seriously stopped about 15 times so he could readjust.  I told him they were so massive they looked like moon boots.  They sounded like it too- CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP.  He was very uncomfortable and got blisters.  I don't know what he's going to do for shoes.  His feet are jacked up and he can't seem to find that happy medium- ankle support yet flexible.  I hope he finds something that works soon....

Next up- navigation class at REI Thursday night!

Here's a picture of a MASSIVE spider we saw.  It's legs were so big and scaley, they looked like a reptile!



Carson's Crossing sign:



Shaka, bruddah!



Dennis showcasing his massively crappy boots:

No comments: