Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Full Moon Hike Iron Mountain

At last, a successful full moon hike!  What a fabulous evening just to be out in the chilly fresh air, enjoying the views and gorgeous full moon.  I started the hike at 5:45pm.  There was a group of 6 right behind me so I knew I wasn't alone.  The sun was just setting so I stopped periodically to gaze at the horizon.  The group behind me was chattering non-stop and I felt myself growing annoyed  because I wanted to hear the animals underbrush and the birds singing or whatever other animal sounds might avail themselves, not to mention enjoying some sweet sweet silence.  About 1.5 miles up, I stopped at the fork in the trail to let the group pass.  The moon was just coming up over the hills in the east and what a sight to behold!  Huge and orange, the moon hung suspended in the sky, hovering just above the horizon with a shimmery luminescence.  I don't have adequate words to aptly describe that vision.  I continued on up the mountain and stopped here and there to moon gaze.  As I rounded over to the west side of the moutain, the city lights view was breath taking.  Continuing on, up and up.  Made it to the top and milled around for a bit and took some pictures then started the trek back down.  I was so glad for my "sticks."  They saved me from falling a few times.  On the way up, a few people passed me going down from watching the sunset and I saw 2 people fall.  They didn't have lights either.  Weird.  The last mile was really creepy for some reason.  Portions of the trail have tall brush on either side and in the dark it was like being in a tunnel.  I kept thinking about mountain lions stalking me, creepy men hiding in the bushes, snakes, and a plethora of other really stupid paranoid thoughts.  When I finally got out of the tall brush, I breathed a sigh of relief.  Then I started feeling very pleased with myself and my steps were jaunty.  Total time was 3 hours.  Next time Dennis will come with me but we'll have to go about 30 minutes earlier because of his work schedule.

Pictures posted tonight.

No comments: