Monday, April 8, 2013

Eagle Rock Hike

I had my first hike with a group yesterday and was pleasantly surprised!  I found them on www.meetup.com and decided to take a chance.  I figured if it sucked then I would just hike it by myself like I usually do.  We met in Ramona in the Albertsons parking lot for carpooling purposes.  There was the usual awkward milling around and trying to talk to people you don't know.  Lots already knew each other but there were a few chicks that were new so I tried striking up conversations with them.  There were the very talkative, loud, boisterous ones that I tried to stear clear of.  Everyone was VERY nice and welcoming.  We finally got going and drove out to the PCT trailhead in Warner Springs (no one rode with me but I was glad about that).   

This hike went out to Eagle Rock which, you guessed it, looks like an Eagle!  Tempurature to start was 60 degrees and sunny.  The PCT from this trailhead, winds it's way through green grass and oak trees along a little creek.  It opens up into a huge meadow and during the spring the flowers blanket the hillsides.  Not so much on this trip- there were a few pretty flowers but not "blanketing" status.  I was in the middle of a group of about 25 and the pace was too fast.  I like to enjoy the scenery and take pictures.  I stepped off to the side and pretended to tie my shoelace then slipped back in at the back of the pack.  Then I was really able to lolligag!  The leader was waiting for me at a 4 way junction to make sure I stayed on the right trail and I said, "I'm sorry, I didn't know you were waiting! Here I am taking my sweet time!"  She said "Don't even worry about it.  Just didn't want you to get discombobulated."  SO nice.

Once we made it to Eagle Rock, we sat around and ate our snacks and took pictures of the rock formation.
Then we turned around and started back.  I stayed in the rear so I could enjoy it more.  71 degrees at the end.
Of course I had an Angry Whopper in Ramona on the ride back :-)

**Edited to say this hike was 6.5 miles roundtrip and took 2.5 hours. 
Enjoy some pictures!





















No comments: