Monday, June 24, 2013

Iron Mountain Full Moon Hike

As you probably already know, last night's full moon was the quintessential moon of the year.  This full moon was the closest to earth as it will be all year, thereby making it the biggest and brightest and dubbed "Super Moon"  by the masses. 

My friend Rocksanne, her dad, and Simone all came out to hike with me.  Us four and hordes of other people had descended upon the trail to witness this lunar event.  I'm talking hundreds of people.  Huge groups with lots and lots.....and lots.....of kids. 

It was a gorgeous evening and we had the benefit of seeing the sunset in addition to the moon.  The skies were hazy and cloudy so the moon didn't make an appearance through the clouds until well after moonrise.  But it was a sight to behold!  We all stopped to gaze and ponder the beauty. 

Rocksanne and her dad made excellent time to the top.  Simone and I were slower and took frequent breathing breaks for her and Little Kahuna (baby bump).  When we made it to the top it was standing room only!  There were so many people up there it was beyond ridiculous.  I was jockeying for position and trying to get pictures but most of the pictures ended up having other people in them because I couldn't get a clear shot.  One guy kept moving back and forth in front of me and I was like Dude, get out of my way!  Not relaxing or peaceful at all.  Here's my sentiment from my hand-written journal "But the moon looked on over all the hubbub, shedding it's beams upon us, disinterested in our hurried and self-involved conglomeration, as we attempted to gain that elusive yet poignant feeling of self-fulfillment."

We headed back down in the dark, headlamps beaming.  Streams of people were headed off the mountain now.  We stepped aside frequently to let large groups of 15-20 file past with screaming, shouting kids.  Once in awhile I was able to gaze serenely on the views in the few seconds of precious silence here and there.  I was getting into a pretty good Zen state and a kid screamed a few feet above me and scared the crap out of me. 

I sang to the moon, I see the moon and the moon sees me, God bless the moon and God bless me.  Then Rocksanne started singing Cat's in the Cradle:

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin' home dad?
I don't know when, but we'll get together then son
You know we'll have a good time then

Then the ants go marching one by one hurrah hurrah....we felt like ants streaming off the mountain.

We heard one guy hamming it up and talking in crazy voices and accents.  Reminded me of Dennis and I wished he was there.  I missed him.

We were in the final stretch and Simone hit a slick sandy spot, turned her ankle, and went down.  She managed to fall to her side to protect Little Kahuna.  She sat for a bit and got herself together and she was okay to walk out.  Poor thing.  Her knee got scraped up good too.  Her and Little Kahuna are fine.

Rocksanne's dad had beat us and was laying on a bench waiting for us.  He said he came out to walk with us because he wanted to spend time with his daughter and I thought that was very sweet.

Oh!  I almost forgot to comment on energy levels with low carb eating.  No issues whatsoever which is probably why I almost forgot about it.  Good energy and legs didn't feel dead.  Dehydrators are expensive so I'll have to wait till I get paid again to get one.

Enjoy some pictures!



Rocksanne's Dad



Rocksanne



Simone and Little Kahuna













Simone's scraped up knee!









No comments: