Monday, May 19, 2014

Dennis's First Hike

Dennis went on his first hike since having back surgery this past December.  I originally was going to do a full moon hike up Iron Mountain but Dennis expressed interest so I changed the location to make it less physically stressful.  Also we had about 11 fires burning throughout San Diego so I didn't really want to sit in the traffic to get to Iron Mt. 

We went to Penasquitos and walked 2.5 miles in and turned around and came back for a total of 5 miles.  Dennis stopped at the top of every hill to take his pulse.  His heart rate was pretty high topping out around 180 bpm at various points.  When I realized how high his heart rate was getting, I made a conscious effort to slow the pace down.  It was also hot.

We could see the smoke from the Carlsbad fire above the hill line but air quality on our side was good.

No Pico because it was too hot for him.

Dennis did great and I could tell he still has his usual fast pace and he said he had no back pain during or after the hike.  Yay!













I'm not taking a pee- just drinking my Gatorade.



No comments: