Friday, July 3, 2015

Mono Pass to Tuolumne Day 1

We took 8 days to walk 75 miles in the Eastern Sierra, from Mono Pass Trailhead to Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite.  Carrie, Carolen, Ingrid, Nancy and I started the trip on a hot and muggy Tuesday, after shuttling vehicles, so that one vehicle was at the start and one was at the end. 
We had 15 miles from Mono Pass Trailhead to get to the PCT/JMT junction and the remainder of miles would be a combination of PCT/JMT.

Left to right: Ingrid, Carrie, Me, Nancy, Carolen



The first day our destination was 7.4 miles to  Fourth Recess Lake and a 2000 foot climb over Mono Pass.  I took no notes the entire trip because I was so exhausted so hopefully my memory serves me well here.

Within the first hour, we had taken a wrong turn and ended up on a pack mule trail.  I think we were about a mile in before figuring out it was wrong.  Carrie was far ahead of us and Ingrid went after her.  A pack mule train went by and Ingrid asked the cowboy to tell Carrie to turn back if he saw her.  He did end up catching up to Carrie and told her she was lost and to turn back.  Very stoic.  I wonder what he thought about us 5 chicks out on the wrong trail.     

When we got on the right track, we began the climb up Mono Pass.  We started at 10, 234 feet and climbed up to 12,000 within 4 miles.  Man, that was hard.  Carrie and Carolen powered ahead while Ingrid, Nancy and I took frequent breathing breaks.  It was 80 degrees.  I was so glad to be wearing a skirt!  Nice air flow in the heat.









Carrie realized on the climb up the pass that she had left her car key in Nancy's car so when we finished, we would have no way to start her car.  We would have a few days to figure out that dilemma.



Back on the right track.











The top of the pass was like a moonscape.  When we reached the top, we still had quite a ways to go to reach Fourth Recess Lake.  We passed a VVR ranger who gave us some info on where we could stop for the night.  We were exhausted and didn't think we could make it to Fourth Recess Lake.  We did end up at a lake but I can't remember the name of it.



Nancy in the distance.







12,000 foot selfie.





We set up camp near a lake and ate our dinner.  I realized when I opened my kitchen stuff, that I didn't have my spoon.  This is a horrible thing for a backpacker not to have their spoon!  Nancy was kind enough to share her spoon with me though.  We sanitized it with wet wipes and passed it back and forth for breakfast and dinner all four days to Red's Meadow.  Crisis averted!

Ingrid is filtering water here.



Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the lake we were at the first night.  Too tired to think of it, I guess.

The first day was really weird while we were trying to get in the groove.  Things went wrong but we rolled with it and continued on.

Positive Thought

Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain. ~Joseph Campbell

No comments: