Saturday, September 10, 2016

Wonderland Day 0

Dennis was able to retrieve my pictures!! Yay! 
 
Day 0, Nancy, Ingrid, and I flew to Seattle, rented a car, and drove to White River on the north eastern edge of Mt Rainier National Park.  We had several itineraries to present to the Ranger since this year permits are walk-up only.  Ranger Carol shot down the first several so we put ourselves at her mercy and said we will do whatever you have available.  She is studiously checking the system below for viable options.
 

 
She figured out a 12 day itinerary for us going clockwise and we were overjoyed!  High fives and jumping all around!  This is what we ended up with:
 
Mowich Lake to Ipsut 5.4 miles
Ipsut to Cataract Valley 4.6 miles
Cataract to Dick Creek 12.4 miles including a detour into Spray Park
Dick Creek to Sunrise 12.5 miles
Sunrise to Summerland 10.3 miles
Summerland to Indian Bar 4.4 miles
Indian Bar to Maple Creek 9.8 miles
Maple Creek to Paradise  6.5 miles
Paradise to Devil's Dream 9.3 miles
Devil's Dream to North Puyallup 14 miles
North Puyallup to Golden Lakes 5 miles
Golden Lakes to Mowich Lake 10 miles
 
The Wonderland Trail makes you stay in designated areas so that's why the tight control on permits.  It was a refreshing change from the John Muir Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail, truth be told.
 
Now that we had permit in hand, we could kind of figure out if we could cache any food.  We decided to leave 4 days worth of food at White River since we would have to walk back through there anyway.
 
We exploded our packs in the ranger parking lot and went to work.  It was a haphazard free for all.  But we got our food into the cache bucket, labeled it correctly, and left it with the Ranger.  Then off we went to drive back around to Mowich lake (north western part of park), our starting point.  The rental car would be left at the Mowich parking lot for 12 days.  What a waste of money, right? Thankfully, we got a really good deal through Costco.
 
 
 
 
We made it to Mowich around 5pm and set up camp.  I met a solo lady named Marjorie who had fallen and cut herself and wasn't sure yet if she needed to get stiches.  I wonder what she ended up doing. 
 
I had also contacted Erin Saver AKA Wired, because I knew she was going to be on the Wonderland and being a long time blog follower of hers, I wanted to meet her! I have a history of recognizing people on trail whose blogs I follow and scare them with my exuberance so I was hoping to give Wired a head's up that I'd be looking for her.  Lots of good info on her blog: http://walkingwithwired.com/
 
 
 
 
 
Since I am doing a Diabetes Fundraiser for awareness in conjunction with this hike for the American Diabetes Association, I'll be talking about my diabetes on the trial.  I don't like it but I will :-)
 
2 hour post-prandial evening sugar level was 93.  Good.
 
 
 
 
Hunkered down to sleep, excited to start walking!!
 
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just finished a 9 day journey yesterday, longmire to longmire. Good for you! I'll follow your blog to see yow it goes... I'll post pics as soon as I edit them... www.instagram.com/troymasonphotography