Friday, September 16, 2016

Wonderland Day 12 Last Day!

Today is our last day.  I'm sad but I would like a hot shower and a hamburger.  We have 10 miles to finish back at Mowich Lake where we started 12 days ago.  It feels weird that we just walked all the way around Mt. Rainier.  I feel the best I've ever felt on a backpack.  In fact, I can say that I feel fabulous.







 
We crossed many rivers that washed the trail out during mudslides or flooding and we followed cairns like this to find the path through to the other side. 

 
After a decently easy 7 miles, we had a 3 mile ascent to climb up to Mowich Lake and finish.  I kept thinking I could see the top but then it would be a false top and the trail would loop around to an even higher point.  It was a 2300 foot climb out of there. 










 
I started chanting Hamburger, Shower, Hamburger, Shower on our way up and out. 

 
I prayed out loud too since I was way out front and hiking by myself.  I was just filled with gratitude that I could physically handle the 100 mile load and thankful to my family for putting up with these hiking shenanigans.  My heart is full.

 
What's this?!!!  .2 to Mowich Lake!  Then we got swarmed by day hikers.  Little spandex clad gals and cologne coiffed dudes sped by us.  I felt totally violated.  We continued our slow plod up that last .2 of a mile and then we crested and emerged into Mowich.  I was overwhelmed with emotion.



Ranger Andy greeted me and asked "How many days?"  I couldn't answer right away.  I leaned over my trekking poles and hiccuped a few sobs.  Then I straightened up and said 12 days.  He clapped and yelled CONGRATULATIONS!  Then Nancy and Ingrid emerged from the trail and we screamed and hugged and cried.  And then, if you can believe it, Ranger Andy asked to see our permit.  HaaaHaaaaHaaaa! 

 
I was able to eek out one more picture from my phone before it gave up the ghost.  The mandatory hamburger at the end of a long hike! Or a bacon cheeseburger in this case.

 
Here's our start and finish pictures. Interesting to see the little differences.  Don't we look awesome after walking 100 miles?
 

 
 
I'm always sad when a trip and a blog report come to a close.  I can really feel a little depressed now which is why it's so important to have something else on the horizon.........................

No comments: