Sunday, September 11, 2016

Wonderland Day 2

Fasting blood sugar was 92 this morning.  Good.  I have my food dialed in very well for this trip.  I have 1.3 pounds of food per day for a total of 18-ish pounds.  I'm doing more low carb options for this hike than I've done in the past.  I acually find that I have more energy.
 
Ipsut to Cataract Valley was another short day.  We lounge around in the morning and enjoy our coffee a bit more when mileage is shorter.  We had to navigate the Carbon River Suspension bridge today!  Scary, wobbly, and kind of rusted looking in certain spots, which did not lend itself to much confidence. It's 205 feet long and goes over the Carbon River with a view of the Carbon Glacier, which happens to be the lowest elevation glacier in the contiguous United States.  Just like glacier water, the glacier itself is pretty gross looking.  It's a moving mass of ice, snow, rock and sand.  You can hear massive boulders and rocks falling into the abyss and silty, muddy rivers flow out of it.
 
 











Getting our first views of Mt Rainier!



We saw every kind of mushroom imaginable.





The Suspension Bridge!


 
Ingrid's getting ready!


 
Chillin' in my Crazy Compression Socks.  These things saved me in more ways than I would imagine.  #crazyclan #crazycompressionambassador
 



Nancy's getting it done!
 




 

Washing some socks and underwear.

 
Bear poles that we had to hang our food on.  Some were so high it was near impossible to get the food up there.



Ingrid cooking her eggs.
 

 
Nancy found a nice perch to read.

 
2 hour post prandial blood sugar after dinner.  Good.


No comments: