Sunday, September 3, 2017

Tahoe Rim Trail Final Day

Mt. Rose to Spooner Summit- 24 miles

Today is supposed to be the second to last day with 15 miles but I wake up with a funny feeling.  I know I don't want to do 9 miles tomorrow to finish.  I want to finish today.  Dennis is supposed to meet me at Marlette Campground to give me water because there is no water in this stretch.  I decide I better have enough water for 24 miles just in case he doesn't have road access.  I am mentally prepared to walk the whole way to be done.

Tahoe Meadows is a beautiful lush meadow with lots of standing water and mosquitos.  After the meadow, I am back in the forest with intermittent views of Lake Tahoe.  I check my phone periodically for messages from Dennis; cell service is good over here.  Six miles in I get a message from him that the road to Marlette is closed so he won't be able to access it for resupply.  He is telling me to backtrack.  I laugh out loud and respond that there is no backtracking in thru-hiking.  That would be a waste of mileage and then I would still have this section to hike.  There is only moving forward.  I resolve that I will keep moving forward even if it takes me till midnight to finish.

I have 3 liters of water with me plus electrolytes.  I've been spot on the last week with using about 1 liter per 8 miles even when it's been super hot and humid so I know I'm good.  It's all a mind game now. 

A fast old dude comes up behind me and we chat for a bit.  He is out for one night and camping at Marlette.  We will leap frog for the rest of the day and he will be the only person I see all day.  It's a lonely stretch. 

I follow my same old routine to take care of myself but I am more diligent about it today since it's 24 miles.  I eat snacks more often and sit down more often.  I drink water and electrolytes, put on chapstick, pee and poop, and walk.  I take pictures and stop to gaze at the scenery.  Although I am attempting to be done today, I relish the views and the solitude.  I am so grateful for good health and this opportunity.

Marlette Lake comes into view and it's a weird little lake that sits right on the side of Lake Tahoe with just a thin strip of land separating them.

Fast Old Dude approaches behind me and calls out Hello.  He comments that we are almost to the campground and we can rest.  I let him know I am continuing on to Spooner Summit.  He acts shocked and says "You do realize that Spooner is another 9 miles?"  I say, "Yes indeed, I realize it."   He speeds off but then I see him backtracking to me about half a mile later.  He can't find the campground so I pull out the Guthook app and show him where we currently are and the campground is another half mile further.  He speeds off again. 

When I make it to Marlette, Fast Old Dude is sitting on the side of the trail looking forlorn.  I say, "I see you found the campground."  He says, "Yeah, but there's no water, the pump handle is broken." Oh yes, the pump handle is broken.  I assumed he had done his research before he came out there.  He said he had water enough to drink but not enough to cook his food.  I pull out my bladder to see how much I have left.  I have 1.5 liters and offer him half a liter.  One liter will get me 9 more miles.  He refuses because it's a hot day and I still have miles to make.  So I suggest that his only option is to scramble down the valley to Lake Marlette.  There are no creeks or springs out here.  He says that is what he will do and I bid him a final goodbye.

When I start climbing up the backside of Spooner Summit, the switchbacks never end.  OMG, the switchbacks never end.  I alternate between crying hysterically and belting out song lyrics.  Cry, sing, cry, sing, cry, sing.  This hike is never going to end.  I just keep thinking that I'm walking to Dennis and I don't have to hike tomorrow.

I finally get on top Spooner and the views of Lake Tahoe take my breath away.  Like the whole hike was worth it just for these final sunset views of the lake.  I cry again because it's so beautiful.

I walk along Spooner ridge for a few miles and a rainstorm rolls over so I have to put on raingear.  It passes quickly, thank goodness. 

I have Rihanna's Shine Like a Diamond on repeat and listen to this about 20 times.  Then I switch to Billy Joel's Piano Man and listen to that over and over, belting out the lyrics.  There's no one out here and I am screaming into the wind.

I'm bawling my eyes out when I finally see the parking lot at Spooner Summit.  It's 8pm.  I can hear Nala barking.  There is Dennis with his super duper sonic headlamp.  And then I'm done.  I can't believe I'm done. 

I couldn't have done it without Dennis and his positive energy.  He had Olive Garden salad and ravioli for me. We sat on the rocks by the Spooner Summit sign and ate our food, crescent moon shining overhead.

Photos can be found on my Instagram @tinahikes

Author of Lola Hikes the Icy Mountain
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lola-Hikes-Mountain-Tina-Fernando/dp/1524656089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491443809&sr=8-1&keywords=lola+hikes+the+icy+mountain
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lola-hikes-the-icy-mountain-tina-fernando/1125793085?ean=9781524656089

Crazy Compression: 45% off code CCA-TFernando   www.crazycompression.com

No comments: