Sunday, August 11, 2013

Boulder Oaks Camp

This weekend I was supposed to backpack Mt. San Jacinto and had received two phone calls informing me that my permit had been canceled due to the fire up in that area.  I have been instructed to call the ranger station after next Friday to see about rescheduling.  In lieu of that trip, I thought I would go up to Mt. Baden-Powell and do a 1 nighter however that trip was also canceled due to fire.  It's fire season in southern California!  So instead of doing that trip, I went down to Oak Boulder campground in east county, hiked 10.5 miles on the PCT, and stayed one night at the campground.  I just had to do something- I was so disappointed about San Jacinto!!  Dennis came out to visit me in the evening before he had to go to work and brought Pico.  That was a nice surprise!  Pico ended up staying with me for the night :-)  I was able to field test my home-made dehydrated food and, overall, it was successful.  The dried apples are awesome.  The teriyaki jerky is scrumptious.  The quinoa/walnut breakfast cereal was delightful.  I did not, however, enjoy the quinoa/black eyed peas/ham concoction.  The ham bits were too hard.  I was hungry and not willing to wait long enough for the whole thing to fully rehydrate so it tasted a little chalky.  I presume that if I had waited longer for it to reconstitute it would have been fine. 

The hike itself was wonderful.  I saw three guys right off the bat coming back in flip flops.  Then I didn't see anyone for hours.  I passed 7 guys doing a 2 day backpack up to Mt. Laguna on my way back and I stopped to chat for a minute with them.  It got pretty warm towards the end.  The breeze had gone away and I felt like I was walking in an oven.  My hiking boots were chafing my ankles and I didn't realize how bad it was till I was done.  I wear a double lined sock (wright sock) and that usually is okay but with a higher top boot, it really chafes!  I'm going to try using a silk liner sock to see if that helps next time.  10.5 miles in 5 hours and 40 minutes (including all my breaks).

I was able to mess around with Dennis's iTouch and took a few videos so that was kinda cool.  I also got my first audiobook (Into the Wild)  and played that while I ate my dinner.  It was nice!

Here are the videos and some pictures:

In this snippet, I have just crossed Kitchen Creek Road, 4 miles in.




Turn around point:



Campsite:



Dennis visiting:













I saw this brochure for a nudist group sitting on a rock at the Kitchen Road crossing.  Are there naked people hiking out here?!

Funnel Weaver spider nest.

My dehydrated quinoa, black eyed peas, and ham dinner.  I opened the package with my knife.

Sunset from my campsite.

My gnarly chafe!

No comments: