Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Full Moon Iron Mt.

Here we are once again with the full moon. I love my full moon hikes. You get the sunset on one side of the mountain and moon rise on the other. It's simply fabulous. This month's moon is called the Blue Moon. It's the third full moon in a four-full-moon season, whatever the heck that means. It's also called the Full Sturgeon Moon, the Full Red Moon, the Green Corn Moon and the Grain Moon. American Indians assigned names to the full moons according to the seasons. For example, the Sturgeon Moon is named as such simply because the big fish Sturgeon was at it's peak and easy to catch. Full blue moons don't happen very often and that's where the phrase "Once in a blue moon" comes from. The next Blue Moon won't be until 2015. Okay enough of the history lesson.

I tell you what- no matter how many times I go to the same place to hike, I always have a different experience. This hike started off hotter than the hinges of hades at 86 degrees. But it felt good! I live closer to the coast and it's always socked in with marine layer and typically 15 degrees cooler than inland. I love me some heat. I climbed slowly and took my time, relishing the feel of the heat baking me. The air was resplendent with the sultry summer evening desert smells and sights. The cloud formations were pristine and romantic with their pink, purple, grey, and blue reflections during the sunset. Have you ever just sat and looked at clouds? They have energy and life all unto their own. I happened to have a few glorious moments at the summit by myself (that never happens!) and was able to ponder and analyze the cloud formations at length. Very serene. I said prayers of gratitude for the physical and spiritual capability to enjoy this journey and the beauty of nature.

The people aspect of the hike is always a source of great amusement to me. I saw 72 people on this trip- lots (yes, I counted)! I could hear one guy coming up behind me, actually quite a few switchbacks behind me, but he was singing at the top of his lungs. He was belting out My Way or The Highway by Limp Bizkit. LOL! He kept singing the chorus over and over again:

This time I'm 'a let it all come out
This time I'm 'a stand up and shout
 I'm 'a do things my way
It's my way My way, or the highway!

He barreled around a switchback and came upon me suddenly, abrubtly stopped singing, and sheepishly continued on. I chuckled about it the whole way up. On the way down, I passed by a group of four sketchy dudes. I had to have been about 10 switchbacks above them and I could hear their radio blasting heavy metal music and not the good 80's heavy metal either. I thought, oh great. The closer and closer I got to them, the louder the music. Finally, I came upon them and they were a scary and motley crew (accidental pun for Motley Crue- lol!). I looked each one in the eye and said "Hello!" as they passed. Only one said hello back. I wanted to be percieved as a Confident Wolf (a tidbit I learned in a recent weapons class). They continued on as did I.

The moon rose and cast it's blue moon glow over the mountains and desert. I stopped periodically, as is my custom, to gaze upon it's serenity. Here and there, I said my little prayers of gratitude.

All said and done, it was 3 hours on the snout, my usual time. I had tested out my new silk sock liners to see if I could reduce the ankle chafe. They worked pretty well but I didn't like that the tops of the socks seemed to squeeze my ankle and sort of cut off circulation. I did get a heat rash around the ankles and calves but no chafing. I have a 13+ miler scheduled for this Sunday (and it will be hot hot hot) but hopefully I won't have any issues. I think I got some really good pictures. A stellar moon picture still eludes me though. It's a pretty good picture but still a little grainy.



























No comments: