Monday, August 26, 2013

Sutherland Dam

I had quite the adventure yesterday out at Sutherland Dam. I had no idea that this gem of a hidden valley was out behind Ramona. Once you get off the 78 highway, the road winds around and drops down into a vast valley that's home to a huge cattle ranch. Only 4 of us showed up for the meet-up group- down from the 10 who had signed up. Maybe they knew something we didn't. There were thunderheads in the distance and the sun was ensconsed behind them. I saw a coyote stalking a group of turkeys. He was stock-still, just a few yards from them. They went about pecking at the ground, seemingly oblivious, but perhaps were keeping a stealthy eye on him.

We started the hike at 64 degrees. Perfect really. I felt really good and was able to keep up with these other three- one had just climbed Mt. Whitney a few weeks prior and the other two were runners and long distance hikers. The trail, or rather dirt road, was mostly uphill for the first half. We took no breaks and the heat started climbing. I wished for some breaks but we pushed on.  We made it to Sutherland Dam and took a few minutes to take pictures. It's really neat up there and the reservoir is open for fishing. It would be a nice alternative to get away from the hordes of people trying to fish at Poway Lake. We walked over an old bridge that had been built in 1913. It was closed to traffic and is now considered an historic site. The new bridge was built right next to it. I imagined the vehicles of the early 20th century or horse and wagons trundling along in the backcountry over this little, tiny bridge. I doubt there was much traffic then.







We headed back and all was well. It seemed really unusually hot though so I continuously swigged on my water and G2. One of the other hikers was sucking down Gu and Shot Bloks and she offered me a Shot Blok so I thought I would go for it, knowing full well from marathon training that these things don't sit well with me. I should have listened to my instincts and not eaten it! Pretty soon I started getting really nauseous. I mean nausea of epic proportions. I slowed WAY down and could barely make it up the hills. We had to stop frequently so I could recoup. I kept regurgitating and it was only the sheer force of will that kept me from spewing Shot Blok all over the trail. I probably should have but I was embarrassed in front of these people. It kept getting hotter and hotter. Even hotter than the hinges of Hades- more like Dante's 9th circle of hell.

The group leader gave me Tums, which helped mightily. He had extra water which he doused me with- pouring water all over my head and upper body. After that I was able to proceed with more purpose. I really appreciated that they stayed with me and made sure I was okay but I felt bad I was slowing them down.

We crested the last ridge and I could see my car shimmering in the distant heat and I called up to the Heavens "Thank you, Jesus!"

I kept my eye on that little blue BMW and kept going. At last we made it back to the vehicles, and if I could have done a joyful jig, I would have. I think that was the most gnarly hike I've ever done. The group members speculated that I was dehydrated because I had done hot yoga the day before and perhaps didn't rehydrate adequately. That could have been part of it but I think that Shot Blok sent me over the edge for sure.

I peeled off my boots and socks, which seemed to be fused to my skin in the heat, and with great relief, put on my Teva sandals. Then it was off to the 7-11 to get a giant Dr. Pepper slurpee. Nothing in my life has ever tasted so good.

It was 99 degrees when we finished! No wonder it felt like a fiery abyss out there. 13 miles in 5 hours, 30 minutes.

















No comments: