Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Trail Ride at Penasquitos

Rocksanne invited me to go on a trail ride out at Penasquitos! I thought I would need to do more practice sessions but she asked if I felt comfortable enough to go ahead with a trail ride and I said "Heck Yeah!"

We met at the east end parking lot of Penasquitos Canyon Preserve. I got there before Rocksanne and I just wanted to drive through and look at the horse trailer parking area but apparently vehicles without trailers are not allowed in that section. The camp host started shouting at me but I ignored him and kept going. I just wanted to drive through, for pete's sake. He jumped in his truck and came after me- talking into his walkie talkie. You'd think I just robbed a bank or something. I did my drive-through and then found a parking spot in the parking lot for regular people and he left me alone. Whatever!

I rode sweet Cassy and Rocksanne rode Jaz. I got to practice putting the saddle, bridle, and reins on again. I'm glad Cassy (and Rocksanne )are so patient with me. I brought her a nice juicy apple to get her to be my friend (Cassy, not Rocksanne) :-) We set off up the trail at a nice easy pace. I think it was about 75 degrees when we started at 10:20am. The trail winds under trees and through low lying shrubs and grass. We had several water crossings which were fun and interesting. There was a cool refreshing breeze. It was just delightful, meandering through the canyon, enjoying the scenery and the easy gait of the horses. The water crossings were peaceful and idyllic with bright orange and electric blue dragonflies flitting about. Large orange and black butterflies floated lazily in the breeze and a million little light orange butterflies swarmed the flowers.

Jaz was funny because she would get spooked by trail signs, stumps, weird looking trees, and anything that was out of the ordinary.

We finished in about 2 hours and I believe it was about 88 degrees. My knees were so stiff, I had to hold them straight out from the stirrups to get the blood flowing again before I dismounted. We got all the gear off the horses and then took them over to the hosing off area and washed them down getting all the foam, sweat, and dirt off. Rocksanne taught me how to use a wet scraper. It's basically a piece of curved light-weight metal that you scrape over the horse's hide to get the excess water off. She tried to teach me how to tie the rope to the post but that skill eluded me. I couldn't get the technique straight in my mind so that will take some practice. Then we loaded the horses back into the trailer and we were done! Rocksanne was so nice to bring her horses out to ride- thanks RP!

Then I went to 7-11 and got a giant sugar-free key lime slurpee! BTW, did you know you can get slurpee refills on the cheap?  Save your cup!
































No comments: