Monday, April 28, 2014

Horse Back Riding!

Rocksanne has had some time to ride again before another foal and horse shows start back up. She has switched me to riding Khlassix since Cassie had her baby, Coco. I went out to her house to get used to Khlassix and, very promptly, almost got killed. Khlassix wasted no time letting me know I was riding her wrong! I was too tense and digging my heels in too much and she took off at top speed. I just knew I was going to get thrown off, impaled on a fence post and wrapped in barbed wire. Luckily, I could hear Rocksanne in the background, yelling at me to lean back- just like every time before! I leaned back but I couldn't regain control so I just hung on for dear life and knew she would have to stop at the fence shortly. We careened to a halt in front of the stalls and then just sat there to catch our breaths and calm down. My heart was pounding right out of my chest! Rocksanne patted my leg and reinforced how sensitive and highly trained these Arabians are and so I learned my lesson right off the bat. My heels shall never touch her belly again! We resumed ambling around the corral practicing form. Hands down, heels down in the stirrup and relaxed, lean back, RELAX.

When we were done, we went to eat frozen yogurt :-)





Khlassix is side-looking me.  I can tell she's annoyed.



Rocksanne schooling Shalimar.





We went out to the Ramona Grasslands for the next ride. Sherri and Jessica met us out there with their horses. Rocksanne was taking Shalimar on her first trail ride ever. It was a gorgeous day, spring flowers were in bloom, and views out over the Ramona valley were beautiful. Khlassix wanted to walk really fast and pass everyone so I had a hard time keeping her slowed down. I was really tense again and was not "rating" her correctly (pull back and release to slow her down). And again had a hard time relaxing my heels. Not sure what the deal is with my heels! She feeds off my stress though so I need to work through that- these horses are very in tune with their riders! Shalimar did a super job her first time out. She got a little spooked by some bushes and rocks but she walked by some cows with no problem. Rocksanne said she reared up a couple of times but I didn't get to see that since she was behind me. Super fun trail ride with excellent company!

When we were done, we went to eat frozen yogurt again :-)

Is Khlassix giving me the stink eye?



Rocksanne and Shalimar.



Jessica with Cambria in the foreground.  Sherri and Amber in the background.



Sherri taking a selfie :-)



Jessica in the front, then me, then Rocksanne.





All of us!












Next up we went out to Penasquitos canyon and had long trail ride - 3 hours! It was awesome but also hard. Shalimar had her first water crossing and she did great. Sherri, Jessica and I sat in the middle of the creek while Rocksanne coaxed Shalimar to step into the water. It took about 20 minutes but once she was in, she had no problems. Like what's the big deal, right? We went back and forth through the water about 6 times to get her used to it. Now she's a pro. There were some steep sections that were a bit scary. I just leaned way back in the saddle going down, thinking about The Man from Snowy River the whole time- LOL. Going up, the horses wanted to run so I just hung on tight. Afterwards, we hosed the horses down, sat around, ate snacks and chatted. Sherri, Jessica and Rocksanne all have very relaxed and chill personalities so it was very pleasant to hang out with them. No frozen yogurt this time :-)











Shalimar did it!



Jessica, me, Rocksanne.





Jessica and Sherri.



Rocksanne.









No comments: