Sunday, February 26, 2017

Rabbit Peak Part Tres

At last, on my third attempt, I bagged Rabbit Peak!! Wow, that was so hard!

Ingrid and I headed out to the Anza Borrego Desert after work on a Thursday night.  We were geared up to night hike a couple miles across the desert floor and set-up to start climbing early the next morning.  It was a full moon and we had no problems navigating around the edge of The Lute (a long narrow land formation).  We camped in a wash and Ingrid cowboy camped but I was too nervous about scorpions and tarantulas so I set up my tent. 

Our previous two attempts at this gnarly climb ended in turning back because 1) we didn't bring enough water, and 2) we told loved ones we'd be back at a certain time and we realized we weren't going to make that time so we turned back rather than create a panic.

This is one of the hardest hikes in southern California with an 8300 foot elevation gain over 21 miles.  Much of it is trying to navigate over unforgiving desert terrain.  It was not a hike we were looking forward to but it was one we needed to conquer to get it off our minds.  Thank God we finally did it because I don't think I could go back out there again!

Friday morning we started the climb.  It was hotter than the hinges of Hades on the side of that mountain.  We had a heavy water carry since there's no water out there.  I had 9 liters and Ingrid had 7.  We picked our way up and just kept a steady step, step, breathe, pace.  The landscape was just rocks and various forms of cacti.  Too early for blooming yet but starkly beautiful, nonetheless. 

I had planned to cache some water at a certain point but when we got there, I decided against it because I was sucking down the water like nobody's business and was worried I wasn't going to have enough. Thank goodness I made that decision because I ended up drinking 4 of my 9 liters on the first day.  Ingrid cached 1 liter but she doesn't drink much.

We made it to Villager Peak by 5pm, our destination for Friday night.  Rabbit Peak sits only 3.5 miles from Villager but it would take us all day to make the 7 mile round trip the next day.  There was a storm rolling in from the west and the winds were high and cold.  I didn't sleep at all that night because the wind was blowing my tent all around. 

I went stoveless for the first time to save weight.  It worked out well but there's something to be said for a hot cup of coffee in the morning and a hot meal at night after a long day of hard work.  I had instant grits which rehydrated nicely without heat and tuna for dinners, salami and cheese for lunches, and bars for breakfast.  I still had my coffee but it was cold.  I mixed my Via packets with a packet of hot chocolate, dehydrated milk, and protein powder and it was like my own little iced mocha.  Snacks were dried fruit, nuts, bars, and girl scout cookies :-)  Samoas to be exact.

We rose early on Saturday morning to make our attempt at Rabbit Peak.  I laid in my tent for a few minutes with negative thoughts swirling in my head.  Do I REALLY need to bag Rabbit?  What am I trying to prove?  Can't we just go back down and get a hamburger?  That didn't last long though because I sure as hell didn't want to come back out here again and I knew that I would never stop thinking about it. 

The terrain between Villager and Rabbit is one false peak after another.  And it's really more mountain climbing and rock scrambling than any sane hike.  We had some high winds and the fog rolled in the higher we hiked.  The views out over the Borrego Badlands to the west and the  Salton Sea to the east were breathtaking. 

Finally we made it to the final ascent to Rabbit.  Looking up, it was hard to tell what was in store because it was shrouded in fog.  We could see the definite flat plateau that marked the top but really no clue what was between here and there.  I don't know the grade on this portion but it was friggin' steep.  Straight up boulder crawling.  Really scary.  I didn't track how long it took to do this section - I was just climbing and that was all.  So close and yet so far away.

When we finally crested the top and walked out into that flat meadow with pinyon trees dotted about, I let out a Whoop!  MADE IT!  So happy we made it!  Third time's a charm!

We ate lunch and didn't hang around for long because it was cold.  The fog had us socked in so we really couldn't see much of the view.  So what goes up, must come down.  In many ways, going down is scarier than up because you see what you traversed at a different angle.  Going back down, we were blown away at certain points, exclaiming out loud how we couldn't believe we climbed up that thing!  Steep drop-offs, crumbling and eroded terrain, narrow strips of trail with drop-off on both sides, loose scree and rocks.  I fell twice coming down.  Not bad ones, just feet slipping out and sitting down on my butt.  I had a few run-ins with the agave cacti as well.  Trying to go to the bathroom and sat right into one and stabbed both my butt cheeks.  OUCH!  Another time I was staggering around trying to get my balance in some loose rocks and I fell into one and drew blood on my hands and knees. I was able to catch myself so I didn't get totally impaled.  My knee swelled up though.

We made it back to Villager Peak about 5pm and fell straight into our sleeping bags.  So tired!  There had been talk of hiking all the way back out in the dark but that plan was aborted when we reached Villager and realized how toasted we were.  Ingrid made me the most delicious cup of hot chocolate that really hit the spot (since I was stoveless). 

Sunday morning we packed up our gear and started the hike back out.  We had high winds again and things got super sketchy in certain drop-off areas with the wind blowing us around.  I was so ready to be done and off that mountain.  I started getting excited when I could see the Lute on the distant desert floor.  It kept getting bigger and bigger and then finally we were rounding its corner and  I could see my truck glinting in the distance.  The walk across the desert floor seemed to take forever but finally I was kissing the hood of my truck.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!  Now I don't ever have to think about Rabbit Peak again!

Then we went and got a hamburger, of course! 

My pictures can be found on Instagram under Tina Hikes. 

PS: My new children's book Lola Hikes the Icy  Mountain can be found on Amazon and Barnes and Noble!

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lola-Hikes-Mountain-Tina-Fernando/dp/1524656097/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488145335&sr=8-1&keywords=lola+hikes+the+icy+mountain

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lola-hikes-the-icy-mountain-tina-fernando/1125793085?ean=9781524656089

I also rep for a couple of awesome brands so if you want a discount, see below.

Crazy Compression: 45% off code CCA-TFernando   www.crazycompression.com
Blenders Eyewear: 20% off code- Tina20  www.blenderseyewear.com





No comments: