Sunday, September 3, 2017

Tahoe Rim Trail Day 11

Watson Lake to Martis Peak Road- 11 miles

I changed the itinerary to break up the 27 miles between Watson Lake and Mt. Rose a bit more.  Dennis reconned Martis Peak Road and it's open access.  There is very little water from here on out so I carried 3 liters per day plus electrolytes.

I leap frog with the Military Ladies again today.  I feel some comraderie and have fun chatting with them periodically.  It's the weekend so there are a ton of people out here again.  Brockway  Summit Trailhead is a hot spot with mountain bikers galore again.  A mountain biker appears beside me and bumps me with his handlebars.  Frickin' A, dude! I yell at him.  He mumbles Excuse Me and speeds off, spewing dirt and rocks all over my shins.  AHHHHHHHH!  I scream after him.  Ugh.  Sorry if you are a mountain biker but I hope you have better etiquette than that!

I had to cross the 267 freeway to get to the other side of the trailhead and it was so busy, it took me about 10 minutes to get across.  Wow, so much traffic on this road! 

The Military Ladies got off at Brockway Summit.  It made me wish I was done too.

It was a very easy day with just a couple mile climb up to Martis Peak.  In the last half mile, guess who I caught up with? Slow Lady with Dog!  I thought I had left her in the dust!  That's when I realized she was doing high miles, going for 18 that day.  We chatted for a bit. I thought I was a slow talker with my drunken country bumpkin accent but she was a slooooow talker.  We made it to Martis Peak Rd and I gave her more water.  I gave her dog, Hazel, water and treats too.  That would be the last time I saw her. 

Dennis had a Subway sandwich for me which I devoured in 13 seconds.  I was finished hiking by 2:30pm and it felt odd to be done so early!

Photos can be found on my Instagram @tinahikes

Author of Lola Hikes the Icy Mountain
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lola-Hikes-Mountain-Tina-Fernando/dp/1524656089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491443809&sr=8-1&keywords=lola+hikes+the+icy+mountain
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lola-hikes-the-icy-mountain-tina-fernando/1125793085?ean=9781524656089

Crazy Compression: 45% off code CCA-TFernando   www.crazycompression.com


No comments: