Sunday, September 3, 2017

Tahoe Rim Trail Days 9 & 10

Tahoe City- Zero Day

I took a zero day in Tahoe City which means I didn't do any mileage.  I did laundry, walked around Tahoe City for about 10 minutes, and went to soak my feet in Lake Tahoe.  The dogs had fun playing in the lake too.  It's tough being a Resupply Dog, you know. 

Tahoe City to Watson Lake- 13 miles

There is zero water between Tahoe City and Watson Lake so I carry 3 liters of water plus my electrolytes.  It is super hot and humid.

OMG, I see Slow Lady with Dog!!  She had to get off trail for a day because her van got broken into by a bear at Kingsbury North!  Now she is back and rocking it.  She may be slow but she starts early, ends late, and goes far. 

The climb out of Tahoe City gets a lot of hype but I didn't think it was bad.  It was just like any other climb out of any other trailhead.  There is a crap ton of people out here today though.  I count 38 mountain bikers, 7 backpackers, and countless day hikers.  The mountain bikers are all coming from Watson Lake and there are heavy duty switchbacks coming up from the lake for about 5 miles.  I find great amusement in watching them walking their bikes up.  I get a grim satisfaction from their suffering.  Only a few are courteous enough to call out or ring a bell when  behind me.  More often than not, they come right up behind me and wobble on their two wheels waiting for me to notice and move aside.  Sorry but I don't hear you.  You need to call out  Behind You or On Your Left or Hello, ANYTHING. 

I leap frog with 4 backpacking ladies who are section hikers.  They are super fast and militant in their hiking although I don't think they are military.  They don't speak to me at first.  It takes a few passes to get them talking and then they are super friendly.  I get plied with questions about snow levels at Freel Peak and if Star Lake is swimmable.  They are carrying camp chairs which I envy.

Photos can be found on my Instagram @tinahikes

Author of Lola Hikes the Icy Mountain
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lola-Hikes-Mountain-Tina-Fernando/dp/1524656089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491443809&sr=8-1&keywords=lola+hikes+the+icy+mountain
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lola-hikes-the-icy-mountain-tina-fernando/1125793085?ean=9781524656089

Crazy Compression: 45% off code CCA-TFernando   www.crazycompression.com



No comments: