Sunday, September 3, 2017

Tahoe Rim Trail Day 4

Big Meadow to Echo Summit- 15 miles

I walk through forests, meadows, and fields of flowers as tall as me all day.  I cross countless streams, stepping or rock hopping across.  I eat something every two hours, drink water and electrolytes, filter water, apply my chapstick, pee and poop, and walk, walk, walk.  The scenery starts to change and I know Desolation Wilderness is coming up.  Forests give way to steep granite drop-offs, boulders, loose scree, and rocky trail.  I hear thunder in the distance and am worried because I'm by myself.  I haven't seen anyone all day but know I'm getting close to the trailhead when I start seeing runners and day hikers.  I feel the first few drops of rain and lightning flashes in the distance.  I'm about a mile from the trailhead and Dennis will pick me up for another hotel night before I head into Desolation.  Thunder rumbles and I start running.  I'm trying to outrun the storm. Pouring rain hits me when I'm half mile from the trailhead.  I put on my rain gear and continue running.  I reach the trailhead junction and don't know whether to go right or left, can't see anything through the rain, don't want to pull my map out.  So I run cross country, aiming for an awning I can see in the distance.  It starts hailing.  I make it to the awning and take shelter under the entrance of the Adventure Mountain Lodge, which is "closed for the season," meaning it's open during the winter for skiing only.  I have no cell service so I hit my SPOT okay button so Dennis has my GPS coordinates.  I'm freezing now so I put on my down jacket and gloves under my rain gear. It's gone from about 80 degrees to 55 in a matter of minutes.  Dennis has a shrill whistle that is very distinctive and I can hear it in the distance.  Then I hear him honking the truck horn.  He does this repeatedly and I follow the sounds until I can see him and am so relieved.  The dogs are peering at me out of the truck windows through the pouring rain/hail.  I'm sure they are thinking WTF is she doing?

Photos can be found on my Instagram @tinahikes

Author of Lola Hikes the Icy Mountain
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lola-Hikes-Mountain-Tina-Fernando/dp/1524656089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491443809&sr=8-1&keywords=lola+hikes+the+icy+mountain
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lola-hikes-the-icy-mountain-tina-fernando/1125793085?ean=9781524656089

Crazy Compression: 45% off code CCA-TFernando   www.crazycompression.com

No comments: