Sunday, September 3, 2017

Tahoe Rim Trail Day 3

One mile short of Star Lake to Big Meadow- 15.4 miles

Things are getting serious up in here.  I am so worried about Nancy.  She only eats a couple of triscuits which is not sufficient for a 15 mile day.  I try to keep her within my sights at all times.  She is dry heaving and moving slow.  We need to get to Big Meadow so she can get off trail until this passes.

We run into a thunder and lightning storm going up Armstrong Pass.  It's not directly over the pass so I think we are okay to continue up and over.  The freaking trail winds all over the summit though and it takes forever to get over it.  Just when I think it's going to be straight forward, it isn't.

I run into a couple more thru-hikers but I don't have the energy to give them fake names.  They are worried about Nancy and ask me if she's okay and if she is going to be able to make it out.  I reply yes, she must make it. 

This becomes like a death march in the rain.  Every turn I take, I think it's the trailhead parking lot.  The parking lot is around this bend, no this bend, no this bend......   ARGH!

Dennis meets us at Big Meadow trailhead and we both get off trail.  I'm starving, grouchy, and tired.  Can't even imagine how Nancy must feel.  We go to the Motel 6 in South Lake Tahoe and Nancy crawls immediately into bed.  I shower and eat a hamburger, resolving that I must continue hiking by myself tomorrow.

 Photos can be found on my Instagram @tinahikes

Author of Lola Hikes the Icy Mountain
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lola-Hikes-Mountain-Tina-Fernando/dp/1524656089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491443809&sr=8-1&keywords=lola+hikes+the+icy+mountain
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lola-hikes-the-icy-mountain-tina-fernando/1125793085?ean=9781524656089

Crazy Compression: 45% off code CCA-TFernando   www.crazycompression.com

No comments: