Sunday, September 3, 2017

Tahoe Rim Trail Days 0 & 1

The Tahoe Rim Trail was the first trail I ever wanted to thru-hike, before I even knew about the Pacific Crest Trail.  This has been my goal for many years and has finally come to fruition.  First and foremost, I thank God for seeing me through, protecting myself and my family, and thwarting all the bad juju.  Secondly, I thank Dennis, my husband of 29 years, for his love and support.  He resupplied me on this journey and I couldn't have done it without him. He found me at hard to reach trailheads, brought me hamburgers, subway sandwiches, Olive Garden, and beer.  He got antibiotics to me within an hour of calling the doctor.  He brought me a new bear can when I forgot the key piece for my old one.  He provided positive energy and a never failing belief that I could do it even when I wanted to quit.  I love you, Dennis.  Thank you so much.

Materials used: TRT Guthook app (water source info was accurate) and the Tom Harrison map for Lake Tahoe and Tahoe Rim Trail. 

The journey started out very rough but I wasn't willing to give up.  My daughter was 10 days late giving birth and that was just 4 days before departure.  If something went wrong or she had a C-section, I would have canceled the trip.  But she had big healthy boy and she was motoring around within hours like she hadn't just pushed 8 pounds 10 ounces out of her hoo-ha.

We borrowed our nephew's van and it was working fine the day before departure.  We were all packed up the morning of but it wouldn't start.  Tried jumping it and it still wouldn't start.  So we transferred all the gear to our truck, which we hadn't prepped, so we had to dick around with oil and gas and re-loading all the gear.  Additionally, everyone in the family had been sick the prior week and I had woken up with a sore throat.  I said, "It's just allergies, it's just allergies."

Finally we were on the road.  Destination South Lake Tahoe.  We (Nancy & I) would start hiking the following day at Spooner Summit and go clockwise.  Dennis would meet us at various trailheads to resupply us with food and water so that we could carry lighter packs.  The longest stretch we would have to carry additional food was for three days in Desolation Wilderness.

Day 1- Spooner Summit to Edgewood Creek- 15 miles

It was a monumental moment to make it to the trailhead to begin the hike.  I was so excited!  There was another thru-hiker in the parking lot washing her hair.  I thought, ah yes, here we go!  The trail was smooth, wide, and easy.  The only indication of difficulty was labored breathing as we got higher in altitude.  Wide vistas opened up of Lake Tahoe and it was supremely gorgeous.  Surreal.  I couldn't believe it. 

We came across a guy called Happy Trails eating Mike & Ike's under a shade tree and we chatted a bit.  He talked about taking Uber into town to get resupplied.  He was taking his time and behind in his schedule.

I was sick, definitely sick, but still said it was just allergies.  Nancy was having stomach issues from what we thought might be food poisoning from the ceasar salad at dinner night before. 

We met Dennis at Kingsbury North trailhead to get water, more food, and our bear cans.  I realized that I had forgotten a key component of my bear can and it wouldn't lock.  Nancy and I shared a bear can that night and Dennis took mine to see if he could rig a fix.

We ended our night just past Edgewood Creek and camped on a knoll above the trail with the sun setting beyond the forest wall. 

 Photos can be found on my Instagram @tinahikes

Author of Lola Hikes the Icy Mountain
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lola-Hikes-Mountain-Tina-Fernando/dp/1524656089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491443809&sr=8-1&keywords=lola+hikes+the+icy+mountain
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lola-hikes-the-icy-mountain-tina-fernando/1125793085?ean=9781524656089

Crazy Compression: 45% off code CCA-TFernando   www.crazycompression.com

The Tahoe Rim Trail passes through two states (California and Nevada), six counties, one state park, three National Forests, and three Wilderness areas. This spectacular trail is 165 miles of single-track multiuse trail, winding from peak to peak around Lake Tahoe.


No comments: